Uniondale, NY - The New York Islanders (25-32-9) defeated the St. Louis Blues (28-28-9) in NHL action on Saturday afternoon by the score of 5-2. Blue liner Andrew MacDonald netted two goals, and was named the first star of the game in leading the team to victory.


In what was an action packed, fast paced game between the two teams as both got the hard hitting underway early and often throughout the game. The Islanders got the first shot of the game at the 0:27 mark of the first period, as Kyle Okposo tried a 24 foot wrister, which was denied by Blues keeper Ben Bishop.


After several more good opportunities New York finally tallied the first goal of the game on a sweet move by center John Tavares (24). The center would be able to out maneuver several defensemen before tallying a 10 foot backhanded shot at the 9:12 mark that was set up by P.A. Parenteau (26) and Travis Hamonic (17) for the 1-0 lead.


The Islanders would try to continue to press their offensive momentum at the 14:30 mark as Frans Nielsen tried for a 27 foot wrister, which was stoned by Bishop. St. Louis had a sweet shot of their own at the 17:29 mark as Nikita Nikitin had a 55 foot slap shot, which was denied by Islanders keeper Al Montoya.


New York would put on an impressive display of passing for their second goal of the game as Michael Grabner and Tavares set up a beautiful shot by P.A. Parenteau (15) at the 19:09 mark. The winger would have a great two-on-one opportunity and proceeded to tip-in an eight foot shot to make the score 2-1.


The physical play between the two squads would escalate in a fight at the 1:25 mark, as two wingers would drop glove and exchange blows. It was Matt Martin for the Islanders throwing punches with B.J. Crombeen, in a very lightweight fight.


Josh Bailey made a pretty move at the 5:35 mark trying for a 12 foot wrister, but sadly for the center the attempt would just go wide. Andrew MacDonald (3) would net the third goal of the game for the Islanders at the 12:49 mark of that frame. The blue liner would put in a bullet of a 52 foot slap shot that went in off the cross bar for the 3-0 lead.


St. Louis would net their first goal of the game at the 3:26 mark of the third period as Andy McDonald (4) would wrist in a 19 foot shot to make the score 3-1. The Islanders would respond, much to the delight of the 10345 in attendance netting the fourth goal of the game at the 3:26 mark.


MacDonald (4) would put in another impressive 18 foot wrister to make the score 4-1 in favor of the Islanders. The Blues would not go away without a fight and thanks to a power play opportunity at the 10:18 mark by Chris Stewart (20). The winger would net a six foot wrist shot which cut the Islander lead to 4-2.


Michael Grabner (26) would put the game away at the 12:25 mark on an impressive display of speed. The Winger would cash in on a nine foot wrister, which was set up by Frans Nielsen (28) and Jack Hillen (12) for the eventual 5-2 victory.


Islanders starting keeper Al Montoya was stellar again for the squad making 21 saves in the cage, while Ben Bishop made 17 saves in the net for the Blues.


New York will remain at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum for a 3:00 p.m. Sunday afternoon game with Tri-State Area foe the New Jersey Devils, who are currently the hottest team in the second half of the NHL season.